Left Hand position / fingering in Weiss' Sonata in F Maj WeissSW 1 - Courante

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
curtis e allen

Left Hand position / fingering in Weiss' Sonata in F Maj WeissSW 1 - Courante

Post by curtis e allen » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Managed to get a musical score of this loosely translated from Lute to guitar. Having trouble getting down the transitional left hand fingerings given that at points the score has the guitar playing low F (6th string) with high A (1st string). I've moved some of the 6 string F's up an octave, which has helped.

Does anyone have a "system" or approach they could suggest. So far most of my approach has been trial and error.

I have started to run through the piece with just the lowest bass and highest treble per measure or half measure to see what position (1st, 3rd, 5th) would work best per measure/half measure to increase chances of flow. This seems to sort of work, and gives me some choices in terms of 1 - 4 left hand fingerings.

I thought of capo'ing on the 3rd fret to lesson some of the stretching, which might mean I could play the piece without shifting some bass note octaves. Also thought of tuning the low E up to the F...

The more I get into this the more I realize some of my initial choices just don't work...

Thank,

Curtis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Curtis

2011 Christopher Carrington
2014 New World Player 650 Spruce

ronjazz

Re: Left Hand position / fingering in Weiss' Sonata in F Maj WeissSW 1 - Courante

Post by ronjazz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:34 pm

You could try dropping the 6th to D (I think Williams did that , but it's been years since I saw him play this), but the octave idea should work in terms of voice-leading. Personally, I think a 7-string guitar is the solution all around.

Ooops, I now see that you have a low D in that arrangement.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”