Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.
tejjy
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:10 pm
Location: Geelong

Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by tejjy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:48 am

Can anyone recommend either single studies, or collections of studies, that focus on plucking finger independence?

Cheers...

Dirck Nagy
Posts: 902
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by Dirck Nagy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:22 am

tejjy wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:48 am
...
What level are you looking for? Is there a specific RH issue that has come up, or just general gymnastics?

dirck

User avatar
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by Christopher Langley » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:11 am

Giuliani's 120 RH Studies
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

tejjy
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:10 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by tejjy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:32 am

Thanks Chris - I'll start looking at those

Dirck: I realised after I posted the question that "finger independence" means different things to different people... the context in which it has come up for me is damping. If one (or two) fingers have to rest on a string(s) for damping purposes while the other fingers are plucking, I find it very difficult not to make a "sympathetic" plucking motion with the damping fingers, especially at speed. Looking very quickly at the R120 Chris mentions, I think some of the later sections will help with that.

But I think that plucking with different forces on different fingers would come into the same basket, and I assume that's one of the ways voicings are realised.

(I don't know how to describe my level)

ronjazz
Posts: 998
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by ronjazz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:00 pm

Giuliani Revisited by Chris Berg: a more useful and efficient updating of the Giuliani 120, more applicable to modern repertoire and modern technical approaches. Also Berg's Mastering The Guitar: Process and Essence.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Jack Douglas
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:37 am
Location: Ashland, Va

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:14 pm

ronjazz wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:00 pm
Giuliani Revisited by Chris Berg: a more useful and efficient updating of the Giuliani 120, more applicable to modern repertoire and modern technical approaches. Also Berg's Mastering The Guitar: Process and Essence.
+1 for both! Christopher Berg is excellent!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Todd Tipton
Teacher
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:21 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by Todd Tipton » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:43 pm

I also highly recommend Christopher Berg's work instead of the original Giuliani. Kind of a lot has happened since 1812. I've said this many times and I'll say it again: not a single practice day goes by without my tattered and coffee stained copy of Giuliani Revisited. :-)
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

Todd Tipton
Teacher
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:21 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by Todd Tipton » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:49 pm

Todd Tipton wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:43 pm
I also highly recommend Christopher Berg's work instead of the original Giuliani. Kind of a lot has happened since 1812. I've said this many times and I'll say it again: not a single practice day goes by without my tattered and coffee stained copy of Giuliani Revisited. :-)
Off topic silliness: When I saw this post again, I laughed. Berg has said that he hasn't put much effort into promoting Giuliani Revisited or other works. Of course, I think this work should be in everyone's library and the work should be highly promoted. And every good promotion needs a good slogan, right? "Kind of a lot has happened since 1812."

I'm cracking myself up here :lol: :lol:
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

User avatar
guitarrista
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by guitarrista » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 pm

That's' a great slogan :mrgreen:

BTW I bought both Berg's Giuliani Revisited and Mastering Guitar Technique: Process and Essence from Mel Bay; got the pdf versions. Instant gratification and very reasonable pricing!
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Todd Tipton
Teacher
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:21 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by Todd Tipton » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 pm
That's' a great slogan :mrgreen:

BTW I bought both Berg's Giuliani Revisited and Mastering Guitar Technique: Process and Essence from Mel Bay; got the pdf versions. Instant gratification and very reasonable pricing!
Cool! I hope you find GR as useful as I have over the years. BTW, you or others might be (or not) interested in this: https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 1#p1322181
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

User avatar
guitarrista
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by guitarrista » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 am

I saw that post of yours - thank you! Will explore..
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Pirooz Emad
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:16 am

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by Pirooz Emad » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:29 am

tejjy wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:32 am
Thanks Chris - I'll start looking at those

Dirck: I realised after I posted the question that "finger independence" means different things to different people... the context in which it has come up for me is damping. If one (or two) fingers have to rest on a string(s) for damping purposes while the other fingers are plucking, I find it very difficult not to make a "sympathetic" plucking motion with the damping fingers, especially at speed. Looking very quickly at the R120 Chris mentions, I think some of the later sections will help with that.

But I think that plucking with different forces on different fingers would come into the same basket, and I assume that's one of the ways voicings are realised.

(I don't know how to describe my level)
It might help to practice the passage while over-emphasizing string contact with the RH by playing slowly and as staccato as possible. You can do the same thing with the relevant Giuliani exercises.

tejjy
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:10 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by tejjy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:52 am

Thanks all - printing Berg's Giuliani as we speak. Bits.

guit-box
Posts: 1478
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:57 am

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by guit-box » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:40 pm

These were very difficult for me at first. What's important is following that some fingers are planted while others play.


Here's more, but mostly I just work on the ones in the first video.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

User avatar
rinneby
Posts: 1637
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Studies specialising in plucking hand finger independence?

Post by rinneby » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 pm

:bravo:
1964 - Masaru Kohno
1989 - Antonio Marin Montero
2017 - Pete Beer
2017 - Tobias Braun

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Return to “Classical Guitar Classes”