Is hanabach most expensive strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Thomas

Is hanabach most expensive strings?

Post by Thomas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:04 pm

What do you think about hanabach guitar strings? Are they most expensive?

celestemcc

Re: Is hanabach most expensive strings?

Post by celestemcc » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:29 pm

I love them because their sound suits my guitar (I get the 815M or the 900/200MH.) It took a lot of trial and error amongst quite a few brands to get to HB; in fact I avoided them 'cause of the cost, and the likelihood that I'd love them! Now I'm hooked. Some HB strings are less expensive than others in their line; for me they're worth the $$ (and I have not bought the most expensive of them). But there are plenty of other brands of strings to be had at a lesser price -- it's a matter of what suits your ear and your budget. Be aware they are higher tension, relatively, than most other brands of string. And for the record, I always use a carbon G.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Guero

Post by Guero » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:50 pm

I think it depends on the set and maybe where you're living.
In Germany they range between 7€ (Hannabach 500) and almost 40€.
The 815 cost around 15€.
I wouldn't consider them too expensive.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:17 pm

Here in Korea I got Hannabach PSP 850 for 30 dollars . It says Medium tension Do you mean even a Medium tension is basically higher than other strings?
I have not used it yet

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:20 pm

They are expensive, but their goldins are among my favorite strings. I'll attempt to reduce the cost by mixing their trebles with a cheaper bass set.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:21 pm

Exclusive is $34.95 per set. Seems like I remember seeing a DR Junger set that was almost $50.00. However, the less expensive Hannabach strings, 800 series at about $15 are quite good. Pyramid Sterling Silver are one of the best at about $25/set.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:48 pm

It depends on the market. In the US, US made strings (D’Addario, LaBella, Augustine, ...) are a lot cheaper than European strings like Hannabach or Savarez. Here in Europe US made strings are not that cheap. Savarez or Hannabach 815 cost slightly less than in the US. The price difference is not as big.

A set of Hannabach 815 LT costs me about 25% more than vanilla EJ45.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:48 pm

Do you mean even a Medium tension is basically higher than other strings?
Correct. "Medium" (or "High" or "Light") are arbitrary designations, and really only relative to the strings in a given brand. There are threads about string tension all over this forum, look for them. But HBs are generally harder than others, yes. For example HB Mediums are often the equivalent of High tension in other string brands. Let's put it this way, players typically don't find Hannabach strings to be too soft! If you decide to try them, consider starting with mediums first unless you like very hard tension strings! :D
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:48 am

celestemcc wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:48 pm
Correct. "Medium" (or "High" or "Light") are arbitrary designations, and really only relative to the strings in a given brand. There are threads about string tension all over this forum, look for them. But HBs are generally harder than others, yes. For example HB Mediums are often the equivalent of High tension in other string brands. Let's put it this way, players typically don't find Hannabach strings to be too soft! If you decide to try them, consider starting with mediums first unless you like very hard tension strings! :D
Thanks i was using Ddarrio for some time I switched to Savarez Normal tension but I can feel that it is harder probably this goes for Savarez too?

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:56 am

Yes, Savarez Normal or Hannabach Normal tensions are higher than D'addario.However,Hannabach also has Low Tension and Super Low Tension sets, but Savarez only has Hard and Normal sets,except for their rectified nylons, they are 520 B(Low Tension), 520 R (Normal) and 520 J (High).

It depends on your guitar, the 520 R feels floppy on my 64cm scale length guitar. So I need to go one tension above to drive the top.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:54 am

Thomas wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:48 am
celestemcc wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:48 pm
Thanks i was using Ddarrio for some time I switched to Savarez Normal tension but I can feel that it is harder probably this goes for Savarez too?
Which Savarez strings? New Cristal treble strings are quite low in tension, while the Alliance trebles are substantially stiffer on my left hand.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:58 am

Hannabach are pricey - £18 plus VAT in the UK for their Titanyl range - but they make everything else sound rubbish.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Alan Green wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:58 am
Hannabach are pricey - £18 plus VAT in the UK for their Titanyl range - but they make everything else sound rubbish.
Thanks what Hannabach do you recommend , Normal tension , Nylon strings ?

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:07 pm

Thomas wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:04 pm
What do you think about hanabach guitar strings? Are they most expensive?
Not by a long shot! Look up Knobloch Actives Pure Sterling Silver, LaBella Argento Pure Silver - Hand Polished and Dr. Junger Mysterion :)

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Thanks what Hannabach do you recommend , Normal tension , Nylon strings ?
Depends on your budget. Hannabach's most popular strings are the 815 series (nylon). If you try those, start with Medium Tension (black label) and go from there. They're are darker sounding than other strings I've tried and suit my (relatively new), brighter spruce-top 640. I used Savarez Cristal/Corum Medium sets on my Ramirez 1a; it is a '78, cedar and long-scale. The Savarez strings are brighter and balanced the caramel tone of that guitar.

It's all trial and error, unfortunately!

As for carbon, I've only ever used carbon Gs, and prefer Savarez Alliance for that.
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”