2019 Guitar Goals

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Mike Atkinson

2019 Guitar Goals

Post by Mike Atkinson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:33 pm

So, I'll commit a few things in writing here. Please feel free to join.

Last year, worked through Royal Conservatory's Level 6 Guitar Technique exercises. I'm very satisfied with these technique basics. There are a few exercises that are not at 100%, but close; tremolando sixteenth notes at 88 bpm on ma and am, the descending and ascending sextuplet pattern (at the faster than required tempo of 66 bpm), and sometimes the melodic minor scale fingerings. But, over all, good progress.

Also, I would through all of the Level 6 studies, and from the repertoire, the Renaissance, Baroque, Classical and Romantic pieces. I'm not a huge fan of the 20th & 21st century repertoire, so I did not work through those.

Lastly, after realizing, that I had no repertoire memorized, except for fragments from my college days in the 80's, I spent the second half of this year memorizing some tuneful pieces. I have memorized about 17 or 18 pieces of music, that I had been reading since picking up the instrument again, 3 years back.

This year. I really want to strengthen the basics of technique. I started this morning with Royal Conservatory's Level 7 technique exercises. For my personal comparison, I have recorded video of some of the exercise. Hopefully I will be able to compare against them and see progress later this year.

The scales are set to 84 bpm .. that should be no problem at all. The three octave scales, with position changes, at tempo will be the most challenging. But, not very challenging. Again, the 16th note tremolando at 96 bpm will require diligent practice. Some of the arppegio patterns will be no problem at all, while others (the sextuplets & crossing patterns) will take some work.

I will work my way through the Level 7 Repertoire book. A quick look through the Studies shows some familiar Sor pieces. I've played them from the Segovia book. I really like the Renaissance and Baroque tunes. So I will work my way through those first. I discovered this morning how much of a struggle 6/8 time is for me (still). I will probably look closely that the Brouwer pieces in the 21st century collection.

And, I will have to maintain my memorized repertoire, and add to it. The balance of practice time on new material, and reinforcing existing material is always a thing.

Each day, I try to get at least 45 minutes practice in the morning, and a hour or so in the evening. Somedays, I don't get both practice session, but always at least one. And every practice session, I do work the technique exercises.

Strong Basics = Strong Technique.

OK .. now it's written down. I'll be able to measure against this list, next December.
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

David Norton

Re: 2019 Guitar Goals

Post by David Norton » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:46 pm

OK, here are my three goals (as relevant to classical guitar playing) for 2019:

(1) Complete my CD recording and release it before my 60th birthday at the end of May (2 sets recorded, 4 more sets to do in Jan/Feb);
(2) Learn or relearn several of John Duarte's compositions, 2019 being his Centennial Year;
(3) Start participation in the brand-new Sor Op. 35 Project launched today here on Delcamp.

Let's see what happens 365 days hence.....
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm shelving many pieces so I can spread my efforts over fewer pieces. I told myself I would stick to the short list for one year and not add anything new. I am influenced by this quote.

“Deciding what not to do is as important as deciding what to do.”

― Steve Jobs

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:13 pm

Nice idea.

I’d like to just finish the D07 lessons and final exam. I’m struggling a bit now on Sor’s etude XI, But I can feel it is improving my technique, much like the Bmin etude in D04.

I’ll keep one from last year cause I didn’t get it done: to record a piece even a simple one without any cringe worthy mistakes.

Last, I want to get back to regular technical exercises. The repertoire is so time consuming now I have skipped the scales and stuff. I picked up Simon Powis’ 20 practice routines and am working through those. There’s a good balance of tone, arpeggio, scale, speed development etc. studies graded beginner to advanced. Each routine represents a days technical study of maybe 30 minutes. These should help.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:37 pm

Les Cinq Préludes pour Guitare.

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:21 am

Record 3 more Satie pieces then move on to another composer.

KP

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:36 am

Members may be interested in the Classical Guitar Corner Podcast on exactly this same subject: "2019 Guitar Goals", brought to you by Simon Powis (author of "20 Practice Routines") and Roger Ramirez. You will find the link here in iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 89792?mt=2

Cheers... Richard

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:10 am

Only one goal for 2019 - to end the year a better player than I am now

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:38 pm

(1) I strongly feel the need to learn the fretboard so that I can instantly find alternate positions at higher frets. I am learning the fret positions for common notes such as C, E, G, F, B and A. (2) Also I am playing a few major and minor scales in 3 positions each including the Pentatonic scales.. I have read that this is useful to improving general skill . It's tough not having a teacher but I live in a small town and there are no classical teachers here
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Spruce
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

alexgmcm

Post by alexgmcm » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:56 pm

I too need to learn the fretboard, I have an app on my phone but I don't find it helps as much as just spending time with the guitar - but I can't do that on the bus.

I would like to learn El sueño de la muñequita, Carcassi's Op60 N3 and Scarlatti's K32 while improving my playing of La Romanza and Tárrega's Lagrima (prelude).

I also want to improve my knowledge of music theory - it will be a busy year! :)

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:45 pm

2019 goals.

Obliterate D01

Get started on D02.

:merci:
Let there be songs to fill the air.

razz

Post by razz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:15 pm

I want to get these 2 pieces up to performance shape.

Capricho - Ferrer y Esteve - I have the notes memorized

Opus 6 No. 6 (Segovia Study 12) - Sor - Nearly memorized

Then, I'm going back to that Bach Cello Suite 3.

Chantysboy7

Post by Chantysboy7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 am

Get a guitar...

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Chantysboy7 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 am
Get a guitar...
:bravo:

76 posts and no guitar yet?!! :bravo:

:bye:
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:40 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:48 pm
I'm shelving many pieces so I can spread my efforts over fewer pieces.
Me too.

I'm playing in public, at a certain level, rattling off lots of pieces that I know really well, as regards the notes, because you can't perform if there are holes in everything!

However, I don't feel I'm playing anything exactly as I'd like. I want to play much better, musically, and secure my technique, so it's more natural and fluid.

To this end, I'm putting an aural microscope to Julia Florida and Cavatina. Plus, I think Recuerdos de la Alhambra and Asturias are going in that pot too, though they're substantially more difficult.

That's four romantic style pieces. If I nail those as I'd like, I'm going to move onto Bach and Dowland, in the same manner.

One of the beauties about learning an instrument is the fact that if you improve your skills in one or two pieces, that improvement transfers over to other pieces very quickly.

It all amalgamates to make one a better musician!
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.
By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world."
Robert Louis Stevenson

Return to “Public Space”