How come so few luthiers include sound samples of their instrument?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Beowulf

Re: How come so few luthiers include sound samples of their instrument?

Post by Beowulf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 pm

One of the most useful recordings I have ever come across was of two players each playing the same two different instruments in the same venue with the same microphone pickup/recording equipment.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 pm

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:01 am
Bill-stl wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm
Reading these posts makes me think that buying a guitar is a combination of "Wheel of Fortune " , "Love it or List it " and a Vegas roulette wheel! I am still amazed at what some folks spend on a guitar - and envious of their place on this journey of exploring this instrument, as I am no where close to being that far along. I am sure a $10,000 guitar would sound no better than a $10 one in my hands. Still fun to read and dream.😊
Buying a guitar and knowledge about which guitars work for you is the result of concentrated effort at cultivating how you listen to and appreciate guitars. It's working at it little by little over time.

People who know guitars well have taken time to cultivate the understanding of what s guitar sound means to them. It's actually hard work. But you begin by trying to play and listen to yourself and others play a variety of guitars.
I do understand what you are saying. Hearing the nuances in a luthier made guitar is probably beyond my ability. I doubt that at my age I will have enough years to develop my ear but I keep trying. I just hope that I will recognize when my guitar is holding me back. I try to not compare my playing to artists I enjoy listening to so as not to get depressed. I know I will never achieve what they and just enjoy it for what it is.
I equate buying a guutar to buying a fly rod. When I first started, I could not tell the difference between a $90 rod and a $900. But over time, I have developed my touch enough to feel the difference. Still can't justify paying the difference, but that's my choice! At least I can go to the local fly shop and try them out, plus they have demo days where reps show up with the whole line. I went to the local cg store, but could hardly hear myself play for all the commotion. Left after a short time.
I enjoy this site and hearing different aspects of cg.
Esteve Fernandez Valencia

Ken Whisler
Luthier

Post by Ken Whisler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:04 am

I say that sound samples are not the final deciding factor in any given purchase, but given the fact that interstate commerce and the hassles and risks of shipping are usually necessities to both the buyer and the seller, sound samples are the best way to let the buyer know if any given guitar is at least in the ballpark of their desired tonal outcome. I don’t have the chops I once had, but my nails are usually in good shape and I’m always able to play a few chords, chromatic scales up and down each string, and a snippet of a Bach prelude. And I can always point to my iTunes album recorded in a century old stone parish if someone wants an idea of how one of my guitars sounds in a room with some space and ambience.
Ken Whisler, guitarist and luthier

Ken Whisler
Luthier

Post by Ken Whisler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 am

double post :desole:
Ken Whisler, guitarist and luthier

Stephen Faulk

Post by Stephen Faulk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 am

Bill-stl wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 pm
Stephen Faulk wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:01 am
Bill-stl wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm
Reading these posts makes me think that buying a guitar is a combination of "Wheel of Fortune " , "Love it or List it " and a Vegas roulette wheel! I am still amazed at what some folks spend on a guitar - and envious of their place on this journey of exploring this instrument, as I am no where close to being that far along. I am sure a $10,000 guitar would sound no better than a $10 one in my hands. Still fun to read and dream.😊
Buying a guitar and knowledge about which guitars work for you is the result of concentrated effort at cultivating how you listen to and appreciate guitars. It's working at it little by little over time.

People who know guitars well have taken time to cultivate the understanding of what s guitar sound means to them. It's actually hard work. But you begin by trying to play and listen to yourself and others play a variety of guitars.
I do understand what you are saying. Hearing the nuances in a luthier made guitar is probably beyond my ability. I doubt that at my age I will have enough years to develop my ear but I keep trying. I just hope that I will recognize when my guitar is holding me back. I try to not compare my playing to artists I enjoy listening to so as not to get depressed. I know I will never achieve what they and just enjoy it for what it is.
I equate buying a guutar to buying a fly rod. When I first started, I could not tell the difference between a $90 rod and a $900. But over time, I have developed my touch enough to feel the difference. Still can't justify paying the difference, but that's my choice! At least I can go to the local fly shop and try them out, plus they have demo days where reps show up with the whole line. I went to the local cg store, but could hardly hear myself play for all the commotion. Left after a short time.
I enjoy this site and hearing different aspects of cg.
Keep trying, you'll hear the difference soon. And well some factory made guitars are not bad at all.

I love fishing shops, I get mesmerized looking at tackle. Right now I'm regearing to do light tackle yellow tail fishing from shore. And I'm going to get a new rod for squid 'eggy' fishing. You have to have a sensitive rod to pick up when a squid lightly grabs the lure. A coarse pole won't telegraph it. I used to fly fish, but I'm really a salt water fisher down deep.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Return to “Luthiers”