Trip to Seville in Spain - please help

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
JulianCod

Trip to Seville in Spain - please help

Post by JulianCod » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi all,

What a lovely website you have here...

I'm a big fan of the world of Spanish/Classical guitar music from its players Segovia to Bream - to its composers like de Falla - Granados, Albeniz ... all the nice ones...

My day job is actually music publishing - so I know quite a bit about the guitars repertoire and music - but from the publishing side.

I'm taking a short holiday to Seville soon and I was wondering if anyone had any places like guitar composers homes, museums, luthier workshops, flamenco places to recommend for me - id like to try and squeeze in some Guitar sounds into my holiday.

Also - can anyone recommend some nice restaurants / bars for a quiet old couple?

I may be posting some interesting opportunities on here soon for composers of guitar music.

Many thanks -

Mike Atkinson

Re: Trip to Seville in Spain - please help

Post by Mike Atkinson » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:18 pm

We were in Spain a couple of months back. We visited Cordoba and Granada, but did not make it to Seville.
But, there are plenty of places to take in a flamenco show. Concert Classical guitar was not as easy to find, especially in a limited time between airline flights.
2018 Cordoba Esteso Cedar

Steve O

Post by Steve O » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:10 am

I cannot recommend any specific guitar shops, etc, but we really enjoyed staying at the Hotel Amadeus in Seville. Following is my review of the place:

"This was the most expensive hotel we stayed in during our three weeks in Portugal and Spain, and was also one of the most enjoyable because of the great location and because I could borrow their guitars. Our room was a double with balcony. They provided two cots w/o charge for our 8 and 12 year old children.

The room was large, clean, comfortable, and nicely decorated. We were in the "La Musica" part of the hotel, which is adjacent to the Amadeus portion. We had full access to both areas. I enjoyed the piano room on the main floor of the La Musica. This room is soundproofed and you can play the piano. They also have violins, guitars, harps, and accordions that you can borrow and play. Most were in unplayable shape with missing strings. There were three working guitars, one of which I fixed the strings on, and was pleased to borrow as I was feeling withdrawal symptoms after being away from my guitar for three weeks.

Breakfast was good. We bought two breakfasts each morning, which provided sufficient food for two adults and two kids. The rooftop patios on both the Amadeus and La Musica were nice. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. Parking in the recommended parkade was an easy 200 meter walk from the hotel. The hotel's location is superb - about 5 minute walk to the main restaurants and the cathedral."

We went to a Flamenco concert at the nearby "Flamenco Casa de la Guitarra". It was okay, but I've seen better shows in Canada and had better guitar experiences in Granada (e.g. the buskers at the Mirador Saint Nicolas in Granada). However it was worth going to for lack of a better place. We reserved seats early in the day and had a great view. The place is small and intimate and it has numerous "historic" guitars lining the walls that were interesting to see.

Restaurants were a bit of a disappoint to us in Seville. The meals were okay, but the restaurants didn't have an enjoyable ambiance. Too touristy perhaps in comparison to our experiences in Granada. The cathedral was spectacular and we seriously enjoyed the ~1 hour long horse drawn carriage ride that was offered by many vendors right beside the cathedral. There is a small guitar shop/museum located on a side street steps off the main cathedral square - where I bought guitar strings - but other than being proud of ordering the strings in Spanish, I cannot say the shop/museum was much to see.

Attached is a photo of me playing one of Hotel Amadeus' guitars on their rooftop patio before breakfast (I was playing an Irish tune at the time) :D
IMG_0375.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

noobrak

Post by noobrak » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:16 pm

Seville was my first stop of my trip to Spain just last month.

We had dinners at La Moneda and La Chala. The first one serves quality, traditional Spanish dishes in a nice classy setting while the second one was more casual and the dishes are like a creative fusion of Spanish and Mediterranean. I would say try to have tapas at the bar of La Moneda, each dish just cost EUR2.60, iirc, if you don't want to have a sit-down meal there.

I seem to observe that for the restaurants with more locals tends to be more lively while those with more tourists are quieter.

We also went to the Museo del Baile Flamenco (Musuem of the Flamenco Dance?) upon the recommendation of our apartment's reception. It was quite an intimate setting, we are seated right in front of the dancers and the singers and guitarist are just ~3 metres away. It was my first time encounter flamenco, while I enjoyed the guitar playing, and the dancers seems to be very accomplished technically, the whole performance did not really strike a chord with me. Maybe it was because I don't understand it enough. Overall, it was okay and I guess it is one of the things that tourists do when in Spain. The entire audience for the show were tourists. So there.

trishabudd

Post by trishabudd » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm

I spent a couple of winters in Seville and loved the ambience and flamenco at La Carboneria, Calle Cespedes 21a. it's a real locals haunt, full of character. The old part of town, Santa Cruz, has some fabulous tapas bars but the flamenco shows in that area are aimed at tourists so not the best, although entertaining. Contact the tourist office as they will have a list of any concerts when you are there. The Triana area is famed for flamenco but it's hard to find out when and where it happens, the best is rather impromptu. Walk around the area, late at night and follow your ears!
Enjoy beautiful Seville!!

JulianCod

Post by JulianCod » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:05 pm

thanks so much everyone - really kind

simonm

Post by simonm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:13 pm

trishabudd wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:27 pm
... The Triana area is famed for flamenco but it's hard to find out when and where it happens, the best is rather impromptu. Walk around the area, late at night and follow your ears!
Late meaning no earlier than 11pm. Casa Anselma in Triana was very nice when I was there a few years ago. I knew roughly where it was. I eventually found it when I saw a taxi park in a side street, near where is was supposed to be, and followed the driver after seeing him take a guitar case out of the back of his car. I had a very nice "evening" (midnight to about 2am). I couldn't stay longer as I had to work at 9am. Not really "hard core" flamenco but local and entertaining. (when I went by at 11pm the place was still shuttered up)

noobrak wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:16 pm
... while I enjoyed the guitar playing, and the dancers seems to be very accomplished technically, the whole performance did not really strike a chord with me. Maybe it was because I don't understand it enough. ...
Maybe you got the "strangled cat" end of pure flamenco. Very definitely an acquired taste. :lol:

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:38 pm

Do you already know when you go?
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

JulianCod

Post by JulianCod » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:44 pm

April

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:14 pm

JulianCod wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:44 pm
April
If you are already in Sevilla on March, 28, then I recommend to go to the concert of Rocío Márquez in the Teatro de la Maestranza.
Happiness is when what you think what you say and what you do are in harmony.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:43 pm

I have a slightly different take on Casa de la Guitarra. I really enjoyed the flamenco show there and the room was small which was great. I went back to look at the guitar collection the next day and that was one of the highlights of the trip. Best collection of Spanish instruments I have seen with most of the historical masters represented. I still remember the Torres on which Segovia had signed the soundboard! :shock:

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:20 am

Agree with Peter on that. The wall is lined with stuff. I think there are two santos on the wall and if I recall correctly Mr Postigo told me he had 5 at the time. Some museums would devote a whole floor to what he has mounted on two sides of one small room. I was intrigued by the guitars from makers fromother cities. What he has there is totally and utterly different from his shop some distance away.

Return to “Public Space”