Planning 2019

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
gunnar

Planning 2019

Post by gunnar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 am

Hi all!
My new years resolution is to plan ahead my year in guitar. I picked 8 pieces I want to learn, with a gradual increase in difficulty from piece to piece.
I would like to ask you what you think of the selection difficulty-wise.
For background, these are the pieces I know reasonably well:
Carcassi - Study in A Op 60 No 3
Tárrega - Study in E-Minor
Sor - Study in D Op 35 No 17
Sor - Study in B minor Op 35 No 22

These are new pieces I planned:
Tárrega - Lagrima
Edson Lopes - Cancao Triste (to improve my notation reading, which lacks behind)
Bartoli - Romance
Anonymous- Spanish Romance
Bach - Prélude BWV 1007
Torroba - Romance de los pinos
Barrios Mangoré - El Sueño de la Muñequita
Pernambuco - Sons de Carrilhoes

Do you think this is reasonable, or are there to big jumps in difficulty between pieces? (I know Lagrima to Cancao Triste is a step down, but I already started Lagrima, so I want to finish this first)

I've also got a teacher who I see about once a month, I will probably talk with hin about that list as well, but I'm very interested in your thoughts :)

PS: It's not important for me to get the list done by 31.12.2019, if it takes longer, so be it ;)

Pje53

Re: Planning 2019

Post by Pje53 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:11 am

A good spread of styles, rhythms and harmonies from classic to modern which will help build your abilities in sight reading and technique, whilst holding your enthusiasm. The Barrios piece with its section of harmonics and acompanying harmony is challenging but well worth the effort, lovely enchanting little piece.

gunnar

Post by gunnar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you for your Reply Pje53! This gives me a positive Feeling.

A Question to all:
Do you also plan out your year (or any other timespan) regarding what you would like to achieve, or are you just attacking one thing after the other?

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 am

I've never done it before, but never made too much progress. Around Christmas time I decided to plan out the year. I set myself the goal of a minimum of 30 minutes a day, learn all of Carcassi Op. 60 and to improve my tremolo enough to play Chant by Brian Head. Hopefully, the consistency will pay off :D
Best of luck with your 2019!

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:21 pm

unless you're a concertizing pro, it seems very limiting to plan a year in advance, since one should be working according to what needs work at the moment, so not planning is more efficient. My life plan is to improve constantly, and as I do, the practice regimen changes to focus on weaknesses that become clear as I progress through various technical and musical problems. for musical purposes, it is probably more helpful to choose some repertoire to learn, then design a practice program around the demands of the pieces, changing the program as one learns and masters the music. from what ai can tell after over 50 years of professional playing, study is accumulative, and working hard on one technique will often improve other techniques as a by-product of mindful practice.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:06 pm

ronjazz wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:21 pm
unless you're a concertizing pro, it seems very limiting to plan a year in advance, since one should be working according to what needs work at the moment, so not planning is more efficient. My life plan is to improve constantly, and as I do, the practice regimen changes to focus on weaknesses that become clear as I progress through various technical and musical problems. for musical purposes, it is probably more helpful to choose some repertoire to learn, then design a practice program around the demands of the pieces, changing the program as one learns and masters the music. from what ai can tell after over 50 years of professional playing, study is accumulative, and working hard on one technique will often improve other techniques as a by-product of mindful practice.

Yes! Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”