Older recordings= better sound?

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Lovemyguitar

Re: Older recordings= better sound?

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:13 am

Maybe the guitarists have something to do with it -- Bream, for instance (since the OP mentioned him) had phenomenally beautiful sound because of how he played. Some of the newer guitarists do not have a sound that is nearly as appealing (based on what I have heard live -- as well as on recordings), with much less warmth and less tonal variation, sounding far more nasal and thin overall. To me, that makes many newer recordings sound worse, just as the live playing sounds worse, and doesn't seem to have anything to do with recording technology, but everything to do with the bland and twangy playing style of more recent years.

Tony Hyman

Re: Older recordings= better sound?

Post by Tony Hyman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:12 pm

I think it has a lot to do with the analog or tape recordings they used. Someone once told me that it will be a while yet before they can really duplicate that quality from a digital perspective. It has something to do with the capacity which the wide recording tapes had and the speed of the recording. Vocalists got by using one mic. So I guess the same worked for solo guitars as well. Of course, the expertise of the engineer also counted a lot as well, I would imagine.

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”