Buzz behind the fret

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
nattyCT

Buzz behind the fret

Post by nattyCT » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi guys,

I changed my strings from d'addario ej45 to savarez 500CRJ and there is some buzz going on at low E string which did not exist before. Low E is dropped to D for a piece and when I play the fifth fret of low E(which is G) simultaneously with open G string, a buzz occurs because of resonance from G string I guess. When played alone it does buzz less at the fifth fret. Buzz happens when I perfectly play it just behind the fret with a good pressure and I can mute it by touching behind the fret. According to my quick google search, it happens because of a low nut height. What are my options to fix this problem the easiest way without touching guittar settings a lot because of inexperience.

Edit : fixed with a thin paper under string at the nut but I would like to hear my other easy options as well.

Julian Ward

Re: Buzz behind the fret

Post by Julian Ward » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:17 am

You can put a slither of something under the actual nut. This phenomenon is called 'back buzz'.
Classical guitar teacher

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:03 pm

It is not totally easy, but easier than making a new nut. You can loosen the string and move it out of the slot. Mask around it with tape. Put a heap of Baking Soda (not baking powder) in the nut slot. Add a few drops of super glue. Spray with activator it you have it (this will cause it to instantly set up). It not, then wait 30 minutes until the glue sets. Refile the slot to the desired depth.

This is an old banjo luthier trick. Arthur Hatfield, a very well know banjo builder, showed it to me when he was working on my banjo. The resulting fill is white and VERY hard. The baking soda crystals (Sodium Bicarbonate) are very hard, much harder than typical filler materials. It will last as long bone in a banjo, longer in a classical guitar.

nattyCT

Post by nattyCT » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:20 pm

GerryM wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:03 pm
It is not totally easy, but easier than making a new nut. You can loosen the string and move it out of the slot. Mask around it with tape. Put a heap of Baking Soda (not baking powder) in the nut slot. Add a few drops of super glue. Spray with activator it you have it (this will cause it to instantly set up). It not, then wait 30 minutes until the glue sets. Refile the slot to the desired depth.

This is an old banjo luthier trick. Arthur Hatfield, a very well know banjo builder, showed it to me when he was working on my banjo. The resulting fill is white and VERY hard. The baking soda crystals (Sodium Bicarbonate) are very hard, much harder than typical filler materials. It will last as long bone in a banjo, longer in a classical guitar.
Thanks, good to know for a backup plan. Still no buzz thanks to a thin paper at the nut.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Paper is good. I had to raise my nut a fraction...incidentally I just use a post it note...sticky side up, The nut fits firmly in the slot and the adhesive of the post it note, negates any side to side movement when tuning up. It corrected the slight creak when tuning...I also don't have to worry about the nut sliding a tiny bit...that little bit can sometimes make the high e hard to fret without chatter, not anymore and the look is virtually transparent.

Post it notes rule.

Return to “Luthiers”