Amplification for playing in streets/outdoors.

Creating a home studio for recording the classical guitar. Equipment, software and recording techniques. Amplification for live performance.
Sebastian

Amplification for playing in streets/outdoors.

Post by Sebastian » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi, I was intending to play in the streets or other outdoor settings. I'm not from USA so "rules for playing" may not interfer here, I'm telling because I remembered I once travelled to North America and I saw there were designated spaces for playing live in the streets.

I was wondering which stuff would be needed to play in that context. By streets I don't mean a VERY crowded place or super noisy, it's somewhere inbetween noisy and calm.

I have a classical guitar with no electronics, then a Taylor gs mini with electronics on it (acoustic, not classical). Also I was wondering about the amp, I mean amps do require electricity (it has to be plugged of course); but then I have a Mini Marshall amp (those with 5 watts? the double one) but it kinda sounds like crap even for electric guitar stuff. Then some effect pedals...
My main concerns are then,

Which phyisical elements are required for live playing. And considering that playing solo guitar outdoors is definetely NOT (as far as I can imagine) the best context at all, IIRC guitars were originally intended to be played for a very small crowd (at least the ones from the classical-romantic era, like for nine people) but then again our modern classical guitar doesn't allow much volume naturally... it's just not the same as playing trumpet outdoors.
I mean reverb in the outdoors is basically non existant with guitar playing.

I was thinking somethin like: classical guitar + KK Pure Mini (or other contact mics) + an effect pedal (such as reverb) + an amp (which one? I assume you should check where to plug it first...) Or in the case of the electroacoustic guitar: guitar + effect pedal (reverb) + amp.

Then again Im just drawing quick conclusions for this, as it is kind of new idea.
You're reading this.

Conall

Re: Amplification for playing in streets/outdoors.

Post by Conall » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:11 pm

I have a fairly cheap Yamaha classical with pickup which I occasionally use with a keyboard amp at weddings / restaurants etc but I've never busked with a battery powered amp. This combination sounds fine except for "serious" concerts.
I note buskers tend to have small amps attached to large batteries. Sound is usually pretty poor with these even with classical players but I guess with normal street noises it's sometimes acceptable.
Maybe ask in guitar shops what they recommend & try in shop if possible?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Conall wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:11 pm
I have a fairly cheap Yamaha classical with pickup which I occasionally use with a keyboard amp at weddings / restaurants etc but I've never busked with a battery powered amp. This combination sounds fine except for "serious" concerts.
I note buskers tend to have small amps attached to large batteries. Sound is usually pretty poor with these even with classical players but I guess with normal street noises it's sometimes acceptable.
Maybe ask in guitar shops what they recommend & try in shop if possible?
-battery power amp
You're reading this.

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:18 am

Bass amps work very well for classical guitar.

Guero

Post by Guero » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:39 pm

Most of the amps do have at least reverb on board, so there is no real need for an FX pedal. (unless you want some ringmodulation or fuzz :))
I have a "Roland Mobile Cube" which can be run with batteries as well. Reverb, Chorus and Delay are integrated.
Have a look at it!

BrianTakamine

Post by BrianTakamine » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:01 am

Crate Taxi amp ( TX30E) has excellent sound with classical guitar. I have a Takamine with pickup. I was busking tonight at 15*C with just this and a chair.
Made $3 in 30 minutes. okay, less $.75 for the parking meter.

The amp is battery powered. Good luck finding it they may be out of business.
Takamine CP132SC Solid Cedar top; Savarez 520 R Strings

psmi

Post by psmi » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:26 am

Look at Acus One for Street Wood, which is amp for acoustic guitars.

The sound quality is comparable to AER amps, the price is much lower.
"If you want to discover the Universe, discover your Self." Gautama Buddha

Esteve 6PS 2007
Camps Sonata Satin - solid spruce
Manuel Rodriguez Caballero 11 - solid cedar

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:38 pm

Another vote for the Roland Cube. Very decent sound (I use it with a small AKG mic that clips to the soundhole), good battery life, an auxiliary input in case you want to use backing tracks.
Chris Freitag

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Peter Frary

Post by Peter Frary » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 pm

If you're game for a pickup install, the Baggs Five-0 is sounds great and doesn't require a preamp cutout (volume control mounts on the edge of the sound hole). I just had one installed in my Romero Creations Baritone 6 and it's the most natural sounding piezo I've heard. If you're avoiding cut 'n sew, consider the Bartlett Audio instrument mic. It clips onto the sound hole and sounds good enough to record with. Not as bulletproof or easy to use as a permanent install but it sounds great. I loved the sound but I kept bumping it...
I play a Tiny Tenor 6 so I look taller on stage!

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:42 pm

there are battery-powered amplifiers and small PA systems available on the market. the PA system will give you the most hi-fi sound, most guitar amps are not voiced for classical guitar. for about $70 you can purchase a Kremona pickup with installs on top of the bridge, held on by the strings, and it works quite well in that setting (outdoors with noise), doesn't pick up wind noise, and needs no alteration of the guitar. the Bose S1 is excellent: a charge lasts 6-8 hours, the sound is great, and it's small and portable, with 2 channels if you also sing. Crate made 3 different battery amps; the Taxi, mentioned above, the Limo, slightly larger with effects, and the Bass Buss; the Limo is really nice, but hard to find.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Classical guitar recording and amplification”