Beginning yet again

PoohBear10

Beginning yet again

Post by PoohBear10 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Denver is having a really bad snow storm today. So I thought I would add to my introduction. I forgot what a power outage can to do a post. So I will type again.

I bought my guitar back in 1987, while living in California. Took a class at the local jr college for one semester. Got introduced to tab instruction, at the time it was very helpful. Not very helpful in reading music now and once I memorize a piece I have trouble reading the music in note form again when/if I need to come back to the sheet music, as is my situation now.

I love the sound of classical guitar and want to learn simple pieces for myself as a means of keeping my mind actively in a learning mode.

I can read music, but usually cheat by adding the note name to what is on the page. This means I really do not immediately recognize the note on the 1st and 6th strings. Then I need to find that note on the guitar. Thus, I find that I have memorized the piece long before I have learned to read the music score and rely on memory to play.

I need to break this bad habit so that I can try to sight read music, from what I have been reading on boards.

Pooh

Mollbarre

Re: Beginning yet again

Post by Mollbarre » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:41 pm

As long as you enjoy the journey!

My issue is my hands not coordinating. 3 and 4th strings are a bit of an issue....but slowly, it's getting better!

Find some easy beginner bits or pieces that contain most of the problem notes - and just relax and keep going over them...
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:02 pm

I'm in the same boat.

Can't sight read.. and don't really want or need to right now.

I'm fine with memorizing the pieces so far and I think it's a reasonable approach as a first year student. One can certainly play from memory without sight-reading. It feels easier to me.. One less thing to multi-task.

We might not be able to sight read different pieces all day long.. but we can certainly memorize enough to keep ourselves happy.

My reading gets better every day.. but I still write the notes too. I think it's okay to cheat, whatever lets you play. I haven't encountered a piece I could not memorize. Yet.
Cordoba CP110: RC Recital RL50 MT:Battered Flesh

Workin' on: Sor Op. 60 No. 2

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:51 am

If you have a look around here in the forum, you'll find many pieces which are written with standard notation and tablature.
This makes "cheating" a little bit easier. :D
Many examples come from our member Marieh, who regularly publishes newly edited pieces. How about starting with Giuliani op.1 in tab?
It is here: Giuliani op. 1 edited by Marieh

Bernhard

dcuttler

Post by dcuttler » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:19 pm

I too am returning to classical guitar after many years away, but I am trying to avoid any scores with tablature because I know that being able to read standard notation while being more difficult at first, will open more choices later.

I am using a book that appears to be out of print. “Classic Guitar Solos book 1” by Jerry Snyder. It covers a wide range of graded easy to intermediate music, and unlike most of his current books is in standard notation only. It was published in 1978, and having already owned it and used it in the past, I dug it out again, and I am starting from the beginning.

I did a search and found one copy listed on e - b a y, nowhere else.

dcuttler

Post by dcuttler » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:20 pm

I too am returning to classical guitar after many years away, but I am trying to avoid any scores with tablature because I know that being able to read standard notation while being more difficult at first, will open more choices later.

I am using a book that appears to be out of print. “Classic Guitar Solos book 1” by Jerry Snyder. It covers a wide range of graded easy to intermediate music, and unlike most of his current books is in standard notation. It was published in 1978, and having already owned it and used it in the past, I dug it out again, and started from the beginning.

I did a search and found one copy listed on e - b a y, nowhere else.

Return to “Introduce yourself”