How to make your guitar playing expressive

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
bzel

How to make your guitar playing expressive

Post by bzel » Sat May 18, 2019 3:16 am

An excellent presentation by Marina Krupkina and Nikita Koshkin on how to play musically and with understanding.
Subtitles in English

Yisrael van Handel

Re: How to make your guitar playing expressive

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun May 19, 2019 1:12 pm

bzel wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:16 am
An excellent presentation by Marina Krupkina and Nikita Koshkin on how to play musically and with understanding.
Correct. Great presentation. Thank you. Simple, but important.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun May 19, 2019 2:22 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:12 pm
bzel wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:16 am
Correct. Great presentation. Thank you. Simple, but important.
[/quote

Yisrael,
Over 100 people looked at this post and only two responses???? Is this NOT a subject of interest to performing musicians???? It is THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF MUSICIANSHIP. I think, as some have previously stated, my origins are from Pluto. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Sun May 19, 2019 2:31 pm

The most important reason for playing at all, I do agree. Thanks for posting it!

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun May 19, 2019 2:47 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:22 pm
Yisrael,
Over 100 people looked at this post and only two responses???? Is this NOT a subject of interest to performing musicians???? It is THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF MUSICIANSHIP. I think, as some have previously stated, my origins are from Pluto. Playing again . . . Rognvald
Rognvald,
I will tell you more than that. If you do not have something to say, to express, or an idea to convey, then you are wasting your time with music. Music, unlike visual art, is purely spiritual (non-material). If you do not stir the spirit, you have done nothing. At the very least, you should stir your own spirit. Correct, this is the essence of musicianship. Going back to practicing.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sun May 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Yisrael van Handel wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:47 pm
Rognvald wrote:
Yisrael,
Rognvald,
I will tell you more than that. If you do not have something to say, to express, or an idea to convey, then you are wasting your time with music. Music, unlike visual art, is purely spiritual (non-material). If you do not stir the spirit, you have done nothing. At the very least, you should stir your own spirit. Correct, this is the essence of musicianship. Going back to practicing.

Hi, Y,
I think we must have grown up in the same neighborhood. Well said! Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Yisrael van Handel

Post by Yisrael van Handel » Sun May 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Hi, Y,
I think we must have grown up in the same neighborhood. Well said! Playing again . . . Rognvald
Hi, R,
Yes, we grew up in the same neighborhood. I am from the Netherlands. I assume that you are Scandinavian, although I have vague recollection that you live somewhere in Germany (even closer).
See you in the practice room.
Y.
Yisrael van Handel
Modi'in Ilit, Israel

Robert M

Post by Robert M » Mon May 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Thanks for posting

eno

Post by eno » Mon May 20, 2019 6:45 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Yisrael,
Well, I guess that's because the clip is in Russian so those who did not respond most likely are those who just do not understand Russian.
But there are actually English subtitles there, just click on the CC button.
The presentation is indeed very good.
And I liked the beautiful brick wall background too :D
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon May 20, 2019 7:08 pm

"But there are actually English subtitles there, just click on the CC button.
The presentation is indeed very good. " Eno

Geez, Eno . . . it takes effort to read those lines! Playing again . . . Rognvald

BrunoB

Post by BrunoB » Mon May 20, 2019 7:10 pm

I found the presentation interesting but I thought the last section, about seeing the piece as a whole, should have come earlier. I don't speak Russian so it was a bit more difficult to keep up with the text. I would have liked more musical examples of phrasing as we barely touched the sonata under discussion! It was certainly worthwhile. Thank you for posting.

dhbailey52

Post by dhbailey52 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:16 am

Seeing a piece as a whole is very very important, rather than thinking of a piece as a series of measures or phrases. T.S. Eliot has a phrase, if I remember correctly from his poem "East Coker" from "Four Quartets" -- the poem begins "In my beginning is my end" and concludes with "in my end is my beginning." That very nicely applies to musical works. If we don't keep the ending in mind as we begin a piece we can't very well serve as the musical guides I feel we should be as we play the music for an audience.

musicbyandy

Post by musicbyandy » Thu May 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Rognvald wrote:
"For me, creativity is the most important aspect of performance..."

Maybe creativity is the most important aspect of performance and this is the most important aspect of musicianship.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu May 23, 2019 3:35 pm

As I was scanning thread titles, in my peripheral vision I thought at first that this said "How to make your guitar playing EXPENSIVE" :lol:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Return to “Public Space”