Arrangements of Israeli/Jewish songs?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
yuri1951

Arrangements of Israeli/Jewish songs?

Post by yuri1951 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:47 am

Anybody has a nice arrangements of Jewish or Israeli songs?
Regards,
Yuri

marvluse

Re: Arrangements of Israeli/Jewish songs?

Post by marvluse » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 pm

That would be a nifty thing, I think. Some of the best music comes from ethnic "folk" traditions. Copeland's Appalachian Spring comes to mind, or David Russell's Scottish/Irish arrangements. If you come across any, please share! :)

YouTube has a number of these, but sadly, none for classical guitar that I can find.

Chantysboy7

Post by Chantysboy7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:26 am

Here’s some. There is also a volume 2 as well. Just search Jewish Classical Guitar on Spotify, to find even more.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5DPBCheV ... -MR9_Dxpsw

obviouslyfivebelievers

Post by obviouslyfivebelievers » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:57 pm

There's a guy called Dingeman Coumou that i found while searching for an arrangement of a song once and he has a few arrangements of Jewish songs publicly available if i remember correctly. If you're interested I can check to see if it's there and send it to you
God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son," Abe said, "Man, you must be puttin' me on!"

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:21 am

Hello,

Maybe not "classical" per se (the guitar is a steel-string one) but surely more than "nice" : search for the great Tim Sparks, a marvelous musician who arranged lots of jewish music (mainly sefarad) for Tzadik, the label of John Zorn. He worked extisensively with the legendary Flory Jagoda who taught him some secret gems from a secular tradition.

Tim Sparks published a wonderful collection of his (quite advanced) transcriptions : "Neshama : traditional jewish melodies arranged for solo fingerstyle guitar", Mel Bay.

Hope this helps,
regards,
Gilles

Return to “Public Space”