Playability

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
LP4guitar

Playability

Post by LP4guitar » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi all

I need a little advice please

I have a cheap used classical guitar, it's super light and not even real wood I don't think, actually cost me very little in a charity shop. It had been sat in the window and looked very sad so I saved it.

Now I'm not saying this guitar is good but it sure plays very well & is fun to play!

My question is, I also have an expensive B rosewood, hand made, sounds incredible to my ears, classical guitar but it's so hard to play and I struggle with it daily and not really sure how to go about making it a bit more easy to play. I've tried all manner of string brands and tensions still it seems tight to play and hard to barre and control the dynamics.

The action on my cheapie CG is actually higher than my hand made one. Also my tutor tells me the action is actually a tad low on my expensive guitar, which surprises me as any higher and I'd struggle to play it.

Laura
Last edited by LP4guitar on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

celestemcc

Re: Playability

Post by celestemcc » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:17 pm

There are other factors besides the action... compared to the "easy" guitar, is the neck shaped differently? Is it wider? Is the fingerboard flatter? what about string tension: are you using a harder tension on the handmade? is the scale longer on the handmade guitar? There are so many things that can make it harder to play. First thing that comes to my mind is scale, but again, much more to it than that... let us know.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:23 pm

check the scale/string length and strings spacing at nut and saddle first...compare the differences between your two guitars...

Yesterday, I played my 640 and 630. Playability was totally different because of different spacing at nut.
Otto Vowinkel Concert | Paulino Bernabe Torres | Juan Hernandez Torres | German V. Rubio Concert | Kenny Hill Performance

LP4guitar

Post by LP4guitar » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks & lots to consider. I'll measure and compare over the weekend and get back intouch with the details.

Likely hood is I need a luthier to check it over. But if it's the curving in the neck making playing difficult then not much I presume can be done.

Thanks
Last edited by LP4guitar on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 pm

If your action's low at the middle of the neck, I doubt the neck is curving. Put a straight edge along the neck between and parallel to the strings, that'll tell you to a degree. Again, check the neck shape ("C" vs "D" shapes, say). Is one neck thicker than the other? Measure the width of each nut and compare. Are both fingerboards dead flat or does one have a slight curve edge to edge (which is a feature, not a bad thing). Are the frets taller on one fingerboard than the other? You can see that pretty easily. And yes, measure scale, edge of nut to saddle.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

LP4guitar

Post by LP4guitar » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:47 am

Thanks for the info and time. It's appreciated.
I'll jot down all the details. It will be very useful to understand how the guitar build is effecting my playing and perhaps look into getting adjustments or searching for a better suited build but with similar sound qualities.

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:30 pm

Try to also compare the nut height between both guitars by just eye-balling how high the strings are from the fret in the first frets. That could be a possible culprit especially when it comes to barring. Another possibility is if there is too much neck relief.

Another factor that comes to my mind is the top compliance/stiffness of your handmade guitar, since you say your handmade guitar has a lower action and still feels harder to play. Do the strings feel stiff for the right hand as well as the left compared to your cheap guitar? If that's the case, then it could mean your handmade guitar has less top compliance, thus making it hard to bar and fret the strings. If this is the case, then there isn't much you can really do to change this... expect maybe hope things will loosen up with time.

If doing some adjustments/setup won't fix the problem... the solution is to sell the guitar and get something with comparable/better sound and easier playabilty. Playing a guitar shouldn't be daily struggle as you describe it but should be enjoyable and effortless. Good sound doesn't make up for toilsome playability.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”