Playability

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
LP4guitar

Playability

Post by LP4guitar » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi all

I need a little advice please

I have a £100 used classical guitar, it's super light and not even real wood I don't think, actually cost me £5 in a charity shop. It had been sat in the window and looked very sad so I saved it.

Now I'm not saying this guitar is good but it sure plays very well & is such fun to play!

My question is, I also have an expensive B rosewood, hand made, sound incredible classical guitar but it's so hard to play! I just struggle with it daily and not really sure how to go about making it a bit more of a joy to play. Please help?! I've tried all manner of string brands and tensions.it just seems so tight to play and hard to barre and control the dynamics. I don't have a very strong right had technique yet although it's getting better. I'm also at grade 4 ABRSM level.

The action on my cheap CG is actually higher than my hand made one. Also my tutor tells me the action is actually a tad low on my expensive guitar! Any higher and I'd struggle even more, so yes I'm frustrated.

Laura

celestemcc

Re: Playability

Post by celestemcc » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:17 pm

There are other factors besides the action... compared to the "easy" guitar, is the neck shaped differently? Is it wider? Is the fingerboard flatter? what about string tension: are you using a harder tension on the handmade? is the scale longer on the handmade guitar? There are so many things that can make it harder to play. First thing that comes to my mind is scale, but again, much more to it than that... let us know.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:23 pm

check the scale/string length and strings spacing at nut and saddle first...compare the differences between your two guitars...

Yesterday, I played my 640 and 630. Playability was totally different because of different spacing at nut.
Otto Vowinkel Concert | Paulino Bernabe Torres | Juan Hernandez Torres | German V. Rubio Concert | Kenny Hill Performance

LP4guitar

Post by LP4guitar » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:24 pm

Wow lots to consider. I'll measure and compare over the weekend and get back intouch with the details.

Likely hood is I need a great luthier based in London or as close as possible to check it over. But if it's the curving in the neck making playing difficult then not much I presume can be done

Thanks

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 pm

If your action's low at the middle of the neck, I doubt the neck is curving. Put a straight edge along the neck between and parallel to the strings, that'll tell you to a degree. Again, check the neck shape ("C" vs "D" shapes, say). Is one neck thicker than the other? Measure the width of each nut and compare. Are both fingerboards dead flat or does one have a slight curve edge to edge (which is a feature, not a bad thing). Are the frets taller on one fingerboard than the other? You can see that pretty easily. And yes, measure scale, edge of nut to saddle.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

LP4guitar

Post by LP4guitar » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:47 am

Thanks for the info and time. It's appreciated.
I'll jot down all the details. I will be very useful to understand how the guitar build is effecting my playing and perhaps look into getting adjustments or searching for a better suited build but with the same sound qualities.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”