pogmoor - GuitarLoot updated

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
pogmoor

Re: pogmoor - GuitarLoot updated

Post by pogmoor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:35 pm

cadiz wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:23 pm
Let me think how to do in another way. I am busy right now, sorry. I will have more time from Thursday.
OK thanks. We considered permitting .mscz filesd on the forum, but settled on allowing Music XML files instead as this is becoming the de facto music exchange format.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Okay, thanks, appreciated.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 pm
If I want to make an arrangement from a Fronimo file I use Save As to create a Midi file and then open it in Sibelius. The result needs dropping an octave and for some reason the instrument is given as Pedal Steel Guitar - and of course it needs quite a bit of editing to make a sensible arrangement.
I was thinking this would have something to do with the General midi standard, but neither pedal steel nor lute are defined in it, so it must be that fronimo and sibelius extend the standard, each in their own way. And I guess that they use the same program number, in the case of fronimo for lute, in the case of sibelius for pedal steel.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 am

I found this morning a moment to make a tutorial about how enter lower bass notes with MuseScore (pdf format)
See: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=116135&p=1236039#p1236039

Let me know if something is unclear, or if you are having trouble somewhere or for something.
I can answer you here, or feel free to ask for help on the MuseScore forum: https://musescore.org/en/forum/11
The MuseScore community is just amazing ...

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 am

Thank you, that's brilliant. I'll try and find time to have a good look later today.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:39 pm

I've updated the Dowland page of my website today - adding 25 pieces which nearly doubles the number of my Dowland arrangements.
Eric from GuitarLoot

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 pm

I've had a look at your website & sight read some fantasias etc - some fabulous music! What an amazing labour of love!

I do have a question - namely - do you ever show the octave of the original with the "8" symbol under relevant bass notes? In my brief last visit I didn't see any. I assume there are plenty of instances where you have put bass notes up the octave?

If so (and I know this is asking a lot!) - any chance of indicating the original pitch of these notes in this way - at least of the most significant works - or at least providing another index that categorises according to lowest bass note?

I ask for the obvious reason that those of us who play extended (bass) range guitars can know and choose if they so wish to play these lower basses.

If there was a choice I'd prefer this information to be first applied to the more challenging pieces.

But if that's too much - no problem - you have already provided guitarists with a fantastic resource - thank you!

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:53 pm

Conall wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 pm
I do have a question - namely - do you ever show the octave of the original with the "8" symbol under relevant bass notes? In my brief last visit I didn't see any. I assume there are plenty of instances where you have put bass notes up the octave?

If so (and I know this is asking a lot!) - any chance of indicating the original pitch of these notes in this way - at least of the most significant works - or at least providing another index that categorises according to lowest bass note?
No, I have not done this. I hope eventually to post lists of the alterations I have made to create arrangements; there is already a page that details a few of these changes. However I'm very much behind with posting my arrangements, so I don't see this as a priority right now.
Eric from GuitarLoot

Conall

Post by Conall » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:09 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:53 pm
Conall wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:36 pm

No, I have not done this. I hope eventually to post lists of the alterations I have made to create arrangements; there is already a page that details a few of these changes. However I'm very much behind with posting my arrangements, so I don't see this as a priority right now.
Hi Eric,

Well yes, considering the mountains of material you have provided I can completely see why it's not a priority for you - it would indeed take a long to add the extra information. Lists of alterations would be great of course though I imagine that would take even longer!

I've been enjoying your arrangements - some gems from Dowland in particular. I have played some from Poulton but I don't have the book (I borrowed it for a while) so I missed many of the great pieces in that edition.

I instinctively put notes down the octave when it seems to make musical sense to do so & even if / when I discover the original bass octaves I may continue to do this anyway since some of the octave jumps in Weiss etc often seem to make little musical sense and are presumably because of the particular instrument that he was using at the time he wrote the piece. I believe courses tuned in octaves would make these jumps less obvious too?

Anyway, thanks again for your hard work!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:21 am

Yes, Conall, bass movement on the late baroque lute is sometimes smoother than the tablature might imply, with the upper octave of a pair of strings being stronger than the fundamental. For anyone intending to play Renaissance music on a 10 or 11-string guitar, I of course highly recommend learning to read lute tablature. Baroque Dm tuning is more problematical on a Renaissance-tuned instrument, necessitating dedicated transcriptions, or the purchase of a Dresden-type guitar. Still, you have time between now and the arrival of your Heikki Rousu guitar. You could spend the time profitably learning to read lute tablature on your six-string guitar, which will make adapting to more strings less of a challenge. Naturally, if doing so, I highly recommend :-) my Introduction To The Lute for Lute and Guitar Players (Mel Bay publications)!

Conall

Post by Conall » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:58 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:21 am
Yes, Conall, bass movement on the late baroque lute is sometimes smoother than the tablature might imply, with the upper octave of a pair of strings being stronger than the fundamental. For anyone intending to play Renaissance music on a 10 or 11-string guitar, I of course highly recommend learning to read lute tablature. Baroque Dm tuning is more problematical on a Renaissance-tuned instrument, necessitating dedicated transcriptions, or the purchase of a Dresden-type guitar. Still, you have time between now and the arrival of your Heikki Rousu guitar. You could spend the time profitably learning to read lute tablature on your six-string guitar, which will make adapting to more strings less of a challenge. Naturally, if doing so, I highly recommend :-) my Introduction To The Lute for Lute and Guitar Players (Mel Bay publications)!
Hi Rob,
- yes thanks for that. I do read French tablature though I still prefer staff including treble & bass as in Poulton & lute staff notation. I can see the benefits of reading from the tablature in order to understand the composer's fingering positions & the effect implied so in an ideal world we'd have both on the page. Even when reading tablature I do sometimes change the position when I can see an advantage in doing so!

I'm trying to get my hands on as many extended range scores as possible (& just now playing them on my 8 string) but I'll admit I've looked mainly at staff scores rather than tablature. There's a French site for Weiss etc which includes much staff with bass notes indicated - but I can see I'm going to have to look for more French tablature if I want more tunes off the internet!

I've heard nothing more yet from Heikki but he's been busy or on holiday I gather!

Cheers,

C

Return to “Members' Announcements”