Kitharologus - Updated Edition

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
dtoh

Re: Kitharologus - Updated Edition

Post by dtoh » Fri May 25, 2018 3:28 am

IMHO, for relative beginners developing muscular strength (and concurrently finger independence) in the LH is the single biggest hindrance to advancement. If you just play pieces, these muscles will develop very slowly. IMHO the failure to emphasize exercises to develop these muscles is the biggest flaw with current CG pedagogy.

Alexander Kalil

Post by Alexander Kalil » Sun May 27, 2018 12:52 pm

ronjazz, imaginative players will find ways to practice music without over-practicing it and letting it grow stale on them. Also, nothing prevents a guitarist from regularly practicing music besides their current repertoire to maintain their ability to sight-read and play chamber music. As for exercises being able to fix technique problems, I think we should just agree to disagree here. In my world exercises don't fix anything - teachers do. It saddens me to see people spending countless hours on books and exercises trying to fix things a good teacher could fix in one lesson. But maybe that's just me. Finally, I really do hope that my views being "in a tiny minority" as you emphasize isn't supposed to make them wrong by default.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun May 27, 2018 1:28 pm

ronjazz wrote:I am a high-level pro with worldwide experience, several CDs out, and have taught at the top conservatories and music schools.
So now you've piqued my interest Mr. Jazz ... any chance that you'll reveal who you really are?

Schneider

Post by Schneider » Sun May 27, 2018 6:42 pm

segobreawill wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:43 pm
Here's very short vid of Maestro Pepe Romero. Listen to his comment about technique at 2:15 . [...]
Hmm, pretty unfair to quote Mr Romero to promote a book he probably never heard of... :roll:

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 am

Alexander Kalil wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:52 pm
ronjazz, imaginative players will find ways to practice music without over-practicing it and letting it grow stale on them. Also, nothing prevents a guitarist from regularly practicing music besides their current repertoire to maintain their ability to sight-read and play chamber music. As for exercises being able to fix technique problems, I think we should just agree to disagree here. In my world exercises don't fix anything - teachers do. It saddens me to see people spending countless hours on books and exercises trying to fix things a good teacher could fix in one lesson. But maybe that's just me. Finally, I really do hope that my views being "in a tiny minority" as you emphasize isn't supposed to make them wrong by default.
Beginners are hardly imaginative players. and practicing your solo repertoire does nothing for sight-reading or chamber music playing. your world seems to be imaginary, if exercises don't fix anything. teachers fix nothing without the student doing the work. again, you're an outlier, and your advice will be counter-productive to most aspiring guitarists.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Mon May 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Schneider wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:42 pm
segobreawill wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 2:43 pm
Here's very short vid of Maestro Pepe Romero. Listen to his comment about technique at 2:15 . [...]
Hmm, pretty unfair to quote Mr Romero to promote a book he probably never heard of... :roll:
Salut Pierre, ca va? :)

I put in that short vid of Pepe Romero for the sole purpose of showing his enjoyment of practicing the basic technical exercises even now at his age with a specific note to watch for his enthusiasm at around 2:15. That's all, no promotion on my part, that's for sure. As for his promotion of his book, strings, etc. well, I too could have done without that but again, I draw attention to the fact that my intention was his remark at 2:15. I hope that's clear. :)

Btw, what exactly do you mean by "to promote a book he probably never heard of" ?

msd

Post by msd » Tue May 29, 2018 12:51 pm

ronjazz wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:45 pm
you didn't do them right. spending 2 hours on technique exercises is a basic minimum for mastering any instrument. proper, mindful practice of technique saves years of correcting things.
Imagine how good John Williams could have been had he followed this approach. :mrgreen:

tamfam

Post by tamfam » Wed May 30, 2018 5:45 pm

I've moved onto Level II, and the exercises get very interesting--how about a pima arpeggio, where p plays on 6th, i on 5th, m on 4th, and a on 1st? How about doing that with free stroke p, rest stroke ima, then reverse it?

These are unique and challenging exercises, and I will probably never do something like that in a performance situation. So why practice it? Well, because by pushing boundaries, you become more confident and comfortable within the boundaries of your performance technique. You strengthen and stretch beyond the requirements of performance!

This philosophy would be difficult, if not impossible, to realize by simply using performance pieces as exercises.

Think about, say, an Olympic runner who specializes in the 5K. In training, why don't they simply repeat 5K runs at or near performance level?

Why do they run hills, when they compete on a flat track?
Why do they run 160 km a week, when their event is only 5 km?
Why do they run 16x400 meter intervals at much faster than race pace, when they do not require such speed in their race?

tamfam

Post by tamfam » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:47 am

Wax on, wax off, baby.

Perfect analogy, for those who have both seen the movie and understand the connection.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”