Takamine G126

Anton Konings

Takamine G126

Post by Anton Konings » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:51 pm

I acquired a Takamine G126 some time ago. I haven't been able to find much information about this particular model online, is this a suitable guitar for a beginner? I don't know much beyond that it was made in Japan in the '80's.

Thanks,

a.

60moo

Re: Takamine G126

Post by 60moo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:27 am

The Takamine G126 is more suited to giving concerts!! It is a great, great, great guitar. Having had no need for any other, I had played and performed with mine on and off for nearly 20 years, and over that time I'd realised the guy who sold it to me must have been a total fool.

Seriously, it had everything you'd want in a classical guitar. Faultlessly clean and even tonal balance across the whole range; never coming close to having even the slightest pitch problem; wonderful sustain on all notes; sound projection second to none; low action; beautiful to hold, easy and delightful to play. A joy to the senses.

The only thing it didn't possess was that rich, Spanish personality, such as in a Ramirez (that's Japanese guitars for you!) But that was my instrument, and one person's G126 may not be the same as the next.
Last edited by 60moo on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cary W

Post by Cary W » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:30 am

Sounds like you found a treasure! Experiment with different sets of strings, and before long you should be getting the best sound out of it. Japanese luthiery is first-rate.
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

Anton Konings

Post by Anton Konings » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:14 am

It sounds like I have some work ahead of me to do it justice.

Thanks!

LBrandt

Post by LBrandt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Is the Takamine G126 still being produced?

rossko

Post by rossko » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:58 pm

I love mine....it was actually the first guitar to come into my home as a kid. My sister played it for a couple of years then put it in the closet where I rediscovered it several years ago. I've had some very nice and expensive guitars over the years, but this is the only one I play now

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi Rossko.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum. Maybe you could have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules. And it would be great if you could tell us more about yourself in our Introductions foum. :discussion:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

fwrobinson

Post by fwrobinson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm

I really appreciated this post. I just purchased a G126 near my home for $100, and it seems to be everything I had hoped for at what seems a great price. Had it not been for this thread I may have never purchased it. I am pretty new to playing classical, but I have always loved the warm soft tone and clarity that classical guitars offer. I also enjoy finberpicking. One of the learning resources I have is the Scott Tenant "pumping nylon", and I recently purchased the latest supplementary edition. I do mostly play acoustic, and this is the first really nice classical guitar I have ever owned. Any other learning recommendations for a student pretty new to classical, who could perhaps play into an early intermediate level would be appreciated.

Up to this point, I have been playing a Roberto Ortega Model (TN-700 OR TN-706(0 OR 6), Serial 48795 that belonged to my father, so I grew up with it. I have no complaints on this guitar only now having something with which to compare. I also have zero information on it's value, but I had to put new tuning pegs on it a few years back, and recently when changing strings the nut broke. On my first try at replacing it, I did not seat the new nut perfectly flat, so I will have to try one more time to get the full sound back. If anyone has any idea about the value of a Roberto Ortega guitar I would love to know a little about it's value.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Welcome to Delcamp. You may want to post a message in our Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar subforum.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”