Daniel Mari strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Nylonstringer

Daniel Mari strings

Post by Nylonstringer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:38 am

One of the local music stores stock these strings. Looking up info on these and it says that Daniel Mari's father was the founder of La Bella strings. Has anyone heard of these or tried them out?? Very curious

Regards
Terry

ashworth

Re: Daniel Mari strings

Post by ashworth » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:03 am

These came up in a recent discussion about Ramirez strings. I'm interested in trying them and have bought a set, but haven't used them yet.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=82513&hilit=spanish+delight
- Donnie

Nylonstringer

Post by Nylonstringer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:24 am

Hi ashworth
The sets that are being sold are Daniel Mari 400w. I have no idea what 400w means

Terry

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:55 am

Not sure about the 400w, Terry. I couldn't find any information on it. The ones I bought are the 100p, which is the regular tension classical (red package). The site of the music shop I ordered them from seems to have expired, oddly, so I couldn't go back to get any information there, although I think I remember he offered several types.
- Donnie

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:29 am

Ostrie music supply sells them but I couldn't find a 400w set.

Thanks to the cited Ramirez strings thread I became aware of these strings which are even harder to source in Europe. I succeeded to get some 100p and am very impressed by their trebles in any aspect, sound, intonation balance ...! Never say never but they are the most potential candidate to maintain the premier treble choice for my Kohno! :D

Nylonstringer

Post by Nylonstringer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:48 am

I bit the bullet and bought a set. It only cost $12. Its a green pack. Will post results when strings are settled

Terry

wianno

Post by wianno » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:18 am

A Google search turns up a lot of information.

https://www.google.com/search?q=daniel+ ... 2&ie=UTF-8

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:40 pm

i have used mari strings and have talked with daniel mari although that was about 10 years ago. first to the strings. the flamenco strings, especially the trebles, are very nice. they are medium to low tension strings and work best on a long scale guitar (say a 660 or 664). on a shorter scale they are a little too loose, tension wise. i have not used the classical string so i cannot say anything one way or the other. the higher tension flamenco strings (as i recall there were two levels of tension back in the day) work well but are not as brilliant as the standard flamenco strings--they may have been the classical strings though. overall the strings are nice and worth trying. the problem with the strings is the distribution--i think there are only two people selling them via the internet and one, ron fernandez, may not be selling them as of this writing.

now to daniel mari. the story is daniel mari was the black sheep of the mari family who left to make his strings. i recall talking with daniel who gave me the impression his family gave him the boot because of daniel's vision of strings, etc. i doubt if the mari clan has the same story. long story short, daniel packed up his bags and looked westward (his strings, i believe, are made geographically west of the la bella string factory). to be honest, it would not surprise me if daniel mari strings are made at the la bella factory. i suspect daniel may have embellished the story he told to me--the rebel motif has a little edgy excitement to it.

daniel mari, as well as the story that goes a long with the strings, says sabicas used his strings and said strings were made for sabicas. this is probably true as sabicas used just about every brand of strings out there. i have a pack of black diamond flamenco strings from way back in the day that sabicas endorsed--the pack has his photo and some story about him and the strings and....well the usual sales hawking stuff. if you read music programs of sabicas you will see a variety of strings listed and typically one guitar--ramirez. check out the photo in jose ramirez's book.

to
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:05 am

After the second pack of Daniel Mari 100p I would like to give a personal review as a reward to the community for having drawn my attention to these strings.

On my spruce top Kohno they have a firm, dense and well focused sound character, with good separation and very high dynamic without distortion or buzzing, in particular on the inner strings. Very even and balanced over the entire fretboard and with good sustain.

The trebles are the fastest settling Nylons I ever tried. Almost after half an hour w/o any means to speed up this process they are almost stable. The intonation is flawless and the intonation stability during playing is par to matured carbon strings and better than any other Nylon strings I played.

I would like to address another superlative to the G string. The best Nylon G I ever played. Not tubby at all, with excellent sustain and a nice singing quality.

The basses I would describe as very pure and focused. Less weight than HB or Oasis Sostenutos I used before. Sustain is also less but in no way short breathed. "No, they're just right!" comes always to my mind, whenever I consider to switch back to other basses with mire sustain, weight etc. They level out strengths and weaknesses of my guitar in a very nice way and are by now the best overall string set for this guitar. :D

This being said for a guitar with lots of bottom, a strong top string voice, good sustain and pronounced resonance at g, as the result may be different other guitars of course.

The gauges of the strings are very odd. Normal to medium tension on low and high e (0.71/1.08), a rather thick b (0.85), a very thin g (0.99), a super thick D (0.79) and a rather thick A (0.89). BTW their gauges are different from Ramirez Medium tension strings. This combination is really unique but the lucky coincident is, that my individual string combinations had been very much in this direction!

As being said before, supply is the main drawback but fortunatelly there is even one source in Europe to order them!

:merci:

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Nylonstringer wrote:One of the local music stores stock these strings. Looking up info on these and it says that Daniel Mari's father was the founder of La Bella strings. Has anyone heard of these or tried them out?? Very curious

Regards
Terry
I hardly think that Daniel Mari's father was the founder of La Bella Strings, in view of the fact that La Bella Strings was founded in 1640.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:52 pm

Given Daniel Mari's age, his father could either be Emilio or Olinto. I suspect the person at the music shop probably meant the founder of the USA Mari business. Below is from the LaBella website.

In 1913, the two brothers, Emilio and Olinto Mari left the family business to seek new opportunities in America. They settled in New York City where they produced both gut and steel strings in their small apartment in lower Manhattan. As the word spread among musicians in the area, so did the popularity of their product. A local music store grew very fond of the high quality hand made strings the two brothers produced, and made them an offer to help expand. The first factory opened in the year 1914 on 170 Fifth Avenue. The American dream for the two young immigrants had arrived. The business expanded in 1922 with the opening of a second factory in Lanciano, Abruzzi.

At the 1927 “First Exposition Trade Show” of Tripoli, North Africa, the Italian government awarded the “Gold Medal Diploma” to the company for their dedication and excellence as manufacturers. As a leading producer of high quality strings for the entire violin family including the harp, E. & O. Mari offered both ” La Preferita” and the “La Bella Brand” of orchestral gut strings. Since the twenties the trade name ” La Bella” has remained to describe a superior product.

In 1937, with the outbreak of World War II on the horizon, E. & O. Mari decided to close their Italian factory. During the early Forties, the Manhattan operation moved to Long Island City, New York and remained there nearly forty years. Changing locations in 1981, the factory’s present site is in Newburgh, New York.

Today E. & O. Mari/ La Bella Strings is still a family owned and operated company – passed from Olinto Mari to his daughter Elisabetta Mari and her son Richard Mari Cocco Jr., President and her grandson Eric Cocco, Vice-President.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Dyingsea

Post by Dyingsea » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:49 pm

I agree with the above that a 660 + scale works best with these strings as even their hard tension is really like a low/medium at best. Strings are similar to labella in terms of sound meaning they are bright and last a while. My 200ph Mari's also have one of the best G strings ever as it's incredibly bright for nylon.

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:18 am

Dyingsea wrote:... My 200ph Mari's also have one of the best G strings ever as it's incredibly bright for nylon.
The same applies to the Daniel Mari's 100p set, where it's at least questionable if and how the trebles differ between the two sets anyway. :wink:

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:53 am

es335

So where do you buy them, I can't seem to find them anywhere. And you know I have to try every new string and tweak.....

Peter

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:24 am

Hi Peter,

Ostrie Music Supply offers them in 6-packs at 44,-$ and ship them worldwide. My EU supply is the guitarwebshop in Switzerland but they are sold out at least on the 100p as I was so egoistic to buy up their remaining stock!

Fernanderzmusic is another supply source in the US and their MOQ is 4 sets at 30 $.

There is of course a lot of La Bella in these strings but their gauge composition is really unique and in a way I always wanted Nylon string to be. I do use them alternatively with Oasis Sostenuto basses, which are in themselves the better basses. But the DM basses are the better match though they lack a bit weigth. Their superior overall performance does more than compensate for that ... at least in my case. For my Kohno Pro-J they seem to be the ideal complete string set. :D

I'm excited to hear how you opinion about them! :wink: :D

Cheers es335

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”