Bach, J. S. - BWV 1004 Chaconne - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Neil Roberts

Re: Bach, J. S. - BWV 1004 Chaconne - Video

Post by Neil Roberts » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:02 am

Congratulations Michael - well deserved from your recording! Excellent.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:00 am

Congratulations on your win.
:bravo:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

therebelartist

Post by therebelartist » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:34 am

Congratulations Michael. So pleased you won the competition, your playing on the Video was amazing and you deserve it. I will listen to the full programme recording later. I hope to go to your recital next year, it will certainly be something to look forward to. Very exciting!

Linda
1965 Condal - Classical 650mm (sold)
1972 Martin Fleeson (sold)
2014 Lester Backshall - Recital 1B - 640mm

David Belcher

Post by David Belcher » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:46 pm

Simply outstanding! Clear separation of voices, each one singing musically, and masterful control over such a difficult piece. You know how the pros ("concert performers") here have their user names highlighted in brown/orange? Yeah, so should your name be in brown/orange. Great job, Michael, and congratulations on a well-deserved win!
"In music I think it's very, very dangerous if you start to compare and say, 'This is good, this is not good, this is only one possibility' . . . there are so many possibilities, but what is important is to be open to that." - Pavel Steidl

Noadman

Post by Noadman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks for this enjoyable listen. Also congratulations on your success.
:applauso:
Heaven puts its price on all things.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Congratulations Michael. This must be areal achievment for you :ivresse: We should have an online beer together to celebrate. All the best

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:36 pm

Thank you all very much, I feel like I've been walking on air all day! It was nice to go in to practice and be able to with no pressure, just playing for my own pleasure. It turns out I was the first guitarist to ever win the prize, so it's very nice to fly the flag for guitar as a concert instrument alongside cello, piano, baritone, harp and violin which were the others in the final, with brass and woodwinds in the first round too.

AriTanz

Post by AriTanz » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:23 am

Way to go, Michael, you deserve first prize totally! You hold the whole piece together magnificently. And I adored the arpeggios, they were an absolute knockout.

Listening to this great performance makes me wonder--how did someone like, say, Heifitz, who also plays this piece, albeit on the violin...go the extra 0.0001% to get this piece from fantastic to ultimate world class, when he played it? I mean, what in the world can Michael do better?

I wouldn't know where to start...I would just be lost to say where to work, or what to work on...

I mean, why isn't Michael's the best performance ever, hands down? I'm trying to understand what we are reaching for as performers.

Aw, forget it, nobody knows, it was just a great listen thank you very much...

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:56 pm

I like to think there isn't a best performance of this piece, or others like it in our repertoire like the Nocturnal, say. I've heard vastly different performances which I like alot, but they don't ring true to the way I want to perform it. I think they whole point of being a performer is to bring something new and personal to the piece. When I've had masterclasses on this Chaconne, the performers can have wildly different conceptions of it, and they will outline theirs, before helping me to work on mine, and on bringing out what I want to achieve better. The best lessons I've had have been exchanges of ideas rather than being told what to do where, and usually I can find myself thinking halfway through a when a teacher is suggesting something, that I can complete the sentence and think "of course, that makes much more sense to me now!"

The more I've got to know the piece (I played it in my final recital around this time last year, and have had various gaps of 3 months before re-approaching it), the closer it has come to my final conception of the piece. The notes are pretty much set now, like the added basses and how I'm arpeggio-ing, and my approach to the piece is unlikely to radically change, just evolve and grow, for instance I'm not going to decide double dotting is the way forward all of a sudden. That doesn't mean to say I think my approach is the best way to play it, just the one that makes most sense to me and my playing and personality. And if I'm confident in performing it the way I want to, not thinking about judgement or comparisons, the audience can feel that, relax and let themselves be taken into the world of Bach how I imagine it.

Quite tough to put into words, but I hope that helps you understand Ari! And thank you for the kind words too, I love Heifitz, but I prefer a slightly straighter version of Chaconne like Rachel Podger's. Completely different approach from a different time, but there's something out there for everyone to enjoy!

Michael Butten

Post by Michael Butten » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:44 am

For anyone who has enjoyed this recording, I'll be performing the set I did for this competition (Legnani Fantasia, Gerhard Fantasia and this Chaconne), plus Lennox Berkeley's Sonatina for the winner's recital on January 15th, at the Royal Academy of Music at 1.05 for anyone interested to hear it live, and how it might have changed since I made this recording!

Grant

Post by Grant » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:51 am

Congratulations! really good practice/performance, powerful strong yet very expressive.

Figolo

Post by Figolo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:00 am

Bravo good luck on competition

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Well done :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
I just love this masterpiece. How it gets to a peak 5 minutes from start with the arpegios; but then starts being really emotional.
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2015 Dan Kellaway (Spruce - fan braced)
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)

jaan

Post by jaan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Just came across this after searching the forum for info about Toni's guitars. What a delightful interpretation and performance, well-deserving of the prize you won with it. Congratulations on this performance and the prize!

Have you re-recorded since? Always interesting to see how interpretations evolve.

Thanks for posting.
Amateurs practice until we get it right; professionals practice until they no longer get it wrong.

1999 Dake Traphagen (spruce);
2008 Dake Traphagen (spruce, double top);
2010 David Pace (cedar, double top);
2019 ??

DmitriTchoulanov

Post by DmitriTchoulanov » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Such a pleasure in listening to you :merci:

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”