Musical Notation Software - Sibelius, Finale, Musescore, which is best?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Write_Rich

Re: Musical Notation Software - Sibelius, Finale, Musescore, which is best?

Post by Write_Rich » Thu May 21, 2015 10:25 pm

I'm a long time Finale user probably since 2002ish. I haven't tried Sibelius or Musescore so cant comment. I'm a terrible notation reader so I use Finale to tab out pieces that I intend to learn. I prefer my scores to have the notation with a tab staff below and I have set up various templates with different tunings, duos, trios, ensembles etc etc. Entering notation can be time consuming and tedious depending on the complexity of the score I am tabbing out and errors are sure to happen but I have gotten better over the years! I expect it would be this way with any program. Tabbing is a simple drag and drop but expect some tab fingerings to be off however you can also experiment with different fingerings in a piece before printing. The printed and .pdf scores look quite professional and often my teacher or other players will ask me where I bought the scores from.. I believe there are different fonts and templates for style that you can use although I just use the standard one. Finale is quite expensive but sometimes you can get good deals on the college campus. Check it out!

Schneider

Post by Schneider » Sat May 23, 2015 7:27 am

Found this article (rather old but pretty much interesting though): http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/not ... -sibelius/

MikeToot

Post by MikeToot » Mon May 25, 2015 6:04 pm

For those of you looking to purchase a commercial package at academic prices (i.e., you need file compatibility with other composers), you can enroll in a community college continuing education class. These courses are often only a day long and cost perhaps $100. You are then considered a student, and with your student credentials can purchase software at academic rates. I've done this to purchase screenwriting software, with no issues at the reseller end of things. It's worth spending $100 to save up to half off a $600 software package (YMMV).

That said, I use and support open source whenever I can. Always great to have options.

artguy

Post by artguy » Mon May 25, 2015 6:54 pm

A little off-topic maybe:
I use Musescore to compose music; it works ok for me,
but especially the orchestral violins sound like they use a flanger or chorus,
even when I shut down chorus and reverb in the mixer.
Anyone knows how I can use other (better) (free) instruments with Musescore?

magie

Post by magie » Tue May 26, 2015 3:38 am

sxedio wrote:Try changing to G clef with an 8 under the clef to indicate the true pitch of the guitar.
:merci: That hint solved my problem. Thanks.
Best wishes from magie!

Hallex

Post by Hallex » Tue May 26, 2015 4:05 am

Is there anyone here using "tuxguitar"? I think it's a good software, freeware (gnu) and you can help to get better with comments and helping to develop.

Cheers

Hallex
J Hallex.'.
Santana do Livramento - RS
Brazil
2b1ask1

guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Tue May 26, 2015 5:51 am

artguy wrote:A little off-topic maybe:
I use Musescore to compose music; it works ok for me,
but especially the orchestral violins sound like they use a flanger or chorus,
Anyone knows how I can use other (better) (free) instruments with Musescore?
You can search for "sound fonts" (.sf2) on the web. Most likely you'll be able to find something that sounds more like violins. Otherwise export the song to MIDI and use a sampler.

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Tue May 26, 2015 6:41 am

artguy wrote:but especially the orchestral violins sound like they use a flanger or chorus,
Instead use the mixer (there is a little bug - volume works as expected, but not the effects-, in instance to being solved), go to: View -> Synthesizer -> Master Effects. By changing the Mix in Output (more or less Dry/Wet) - I have framed the location in yellow -, I think the result should be better with this configuration.

Or, if by preference, always in Master Effects, you can switch the default Effect A (Zita 1) by "NoEffect"
dry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Tue May 26, 2015 8:55 pm

magie wrote: :merci: That hint solved my problem. Thanks.
You are welcome :)
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

artguy

Post by artguy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:08 am

Cadiz, I downloaded the latest version 2.0 of Musescore and I saw the effects panel that you showed.
I fear that the sound quality has become worse in this version.
It seems it has even more distracting chorusy reverb. Your indications do make it somewhat better.
Maybe there is yet another solution to improve the sound quality?
Last edited by artguy on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:17 pm

I've read this thread and have a question. First, I'll stipulate that with me, simple is essential when it comes to computer programs. I'm looking for software that would allow me to enter a standard score and have it show tabs as well. That's it. Ideally, something that could scan in a score, or possibly download a score and then convert to tab. But if I had to enter the score myself that's o.k. Would guitar pro be a good choice for this? Thanks for your help.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Would guitar pro be a good choice for this? Thanks for your help.
Guitar Pro will do this, so will MuseScore though the music has to be digitised in the first place. So if you have a printed score in notation you would either have to enter the music into the notation program by hand or use a music scanning (optical music recognition) application to digitise it. Look here, viewtopic.php?f=101&t=52038&start=0 for discussion of OMR software.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:02 pm

Update...

I recently decided to upgrade my Finale 2009, which, by the way, has been an excellent fit for me.
I spoke with a professional engraver who recently upgraded to the 2014 version and he strongly warned me against it, so I did some research and sure enough, the program is regularly condemned as unstable. A new edition of 2014 was released a few months ago but I haven't heard that the problems have been fixed.

-Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

Jouni Stenroos

Post by Jouni Stenroos » Fri May 18, 2018 12:30 pm

I'm currently running a trial version of Dorico. Despite it's still quite young and has some things missing, it seems fresh and the whole workflow is very well thought out. It was easy to get hang of and nothing seems too complicated.

In the end it might be good thing the Sibelius team got kicked out after Avid bought them... the guys know what they are doing and now had a fresh start with proper funding from Steinberg/Yamaha. Both Sibelius and Finale carry a lot of weight in form of core design issues that would require much bigger overhaul than the companies are capable of doing, being constantly under pressure competing with new features against each other.

I'm not very fond of the direction Avid is taking Sibelius, so the crossgrade option to switch to Dorico feels quite tempting at the moment!

-Jouni
Learn Finnish, part 1:
ice-cream cornet: jäätelötötterö

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Fri May 18, 2018 3:18 pm

For a freebie, I think Musescore is just great.

Return to “Public Space”